Katie Jones's Blog

Katie is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She graduated from Grinnell College with a BA in History. She is a second year Master of Public Health student in the Community and Behavioral Health department at the University of Iowa. She works for the MPH Department and for the Iowa Cancer Consortium. She is interested in many public health topics, including health disparities, chronic disease prevention, sexual assault and domestic violence prevention, and health communication. In her spare time, she enjoys cycling and playing board games with friends.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Working for a Non-profit

I love working for a non-profit. I've worked at Iowa Cancer Consortium (ICC), a state-wide cancer control non-profit, since June 2010 and it's been a really wonderful experience. While I know there's a lot of variation within the non-profit sector, generally speaking I think many non-profits can provide unique opportunities for students interested in public health. Since non-profits are often (unfortunately) working on a very tight budget and have activity-packed staff, students can often take on more responsibility than they may otherwise be able to in jobs in other areas.

Through working at the ICC, I've been able to work on a range of projects and expand my skills and knowledge considerably. My boss and coworkers have taught me a lot and continually provide me with guidance. I've been able to help plan conferences (like the upcoming Iowa Cancer Summit, which is open to anyone interested in cancer control efforts!), design materials, write grants, edit web pages, conduct literature reviews, contribute to revising the state cancer plan, facilitate membership meetings, learn a lot more about cancer control methods and cancer itself, and meet some cancer control leaders from across the state.

Granted, there are some downsides to working in the non-profit world: the disappointment when a proposed project doesn't get funded, the uncertainty when the fiscal year ends. But all in all, it's been an invaluable experience and I'm looking forward to working with them for the rest of the school year.

The Rape Victim Advocacy Program in Iowa City is another great non-profit I love being a part of. I don't work there, I'm just a volunteer advocate, but the women that work there are incredible and they do many very important things, like provide free counseling for survivors and conduct sexual assault prevention education.

Anyway, enough about non-profits! Here are some articles you might find interesting:

Women could be given the right to choose Caesarean Birth - James Gallagher

I've been interested in birth and its medicalization for a few years now. I feel a little conflicted about the right to choose to have a C-section. On the one hand, I could see how it may be empowering to have women be able to control their childbirth to this degree, but on the other hand, a C-section is a pretty major operation. Plus, childbirth is a natural process that sometimes becomes a medical emergency, but certainly isn't always. I lean towards the view that it's best to avoid getting a C-section unless it's absolutely necessary, but I can understand why some women may feel differently.

Obama Administration Abandons Stricter Air-Quality Rules - John M. Broder
Depressing, but on the bright side - at least Obama isn't actively trying to dismantle the EPA.

Fewer Americans Are Smoking, And Those Who Do Puff Less - Timothy W. Martin

Some good news and bad news in this article. Especially relevant to Iowans since we just lost millions in state anti-tobacco funding.

Texas wildfires destroy more than 700 homes in two days - CNN Wire Staff
Really terrifying stuff. I have some friends in Austin; hopefully the fires stop soon. I'm a little surprised about how long its taken for these fires to get national attention (although the Southern drought in general didn't get very much national attention this summer either, I thought).

And to end this post: I thought this youtube video was pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment