Katie Jones's Blog

Katie is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She graduated from Grinnell College with a BA in History. She is a second year Master of Public Health student in the Community and Behavioral Health department at the University of Iowa. She works for the MPH Department and for the Iowa Cancer Consortium. She is interested in many public health topics, including health disparities, chronic disease prevention, sexual assault and domestic violence prevention, and health communication. In her spare time, she enjoys cycling and playing board games with friends.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fat Talk Free Week!

This week is Fat Talk Free Week. This article in the Huffington Post really captures what the week is all about. Dr. Rosenberg describes "fat talk" as "comments like 'I feel so fat in these clothes,' or 'do I look fat?' It can also be saying to someone else, 'You look great, did you lose weight?' This implies that lost weight is the metric of looking good."

I know I used to make self-depreciating comments in high school and early in college - it's just such a part of our culture and I think in many circles it's an expected way for women to talk. Starting in college, I began to stop saying things like that, because I started to realize that making those comments isn't just dissing yourself - it sends a message to others as well. I can't count the number of times friends of mine (many of whom are much smaller than me) have commented negatively on some aspect of their body ("My arms are so gross," "I feel like a cow"), and I've thought - what does that say about my body and how it looks? Obviously, their intention is just to remark on their own body/express their opinions about themselves - not to insult anyone else, but I think people often forget that their negative comments send a message to others about what's acceptable and what's not acceptable in terms of body size.

Here are some articles I've read this week that you might find interesting:

Interview: James Hansen on the Tar Sands Pipeline protest, the Obama administration, and intergenerational justice - Jerry Cope, Huffington Post
I've become really interested in the Tar Sands pipeline - which, if you don't know about it, is basically a proposed project to have a large oil pipeline go through the United States to link crude oil from Canada to refineries in Illinois, Oklahoma and the Gulf Coast. Leading climate scientists like James Hansen (a UI grad and Iowa native who heads the NASA Goddard Institute) and environmentalists (such as Bill McKibben) have said this pipeline would be "game over" for the environment and have gotten arrested for protesting it. I really hope Obama rejects the proposal.


Pedestrians on streets designed for cars - Lisa Wade, Sociological Images
Features some great examples of problems in the built environment

Men with disabilities face increased risk of sexual violence - Whitney Blair Wyckoff, NPR

Can the 14th amendment defend itself? - Linda Kerber, CNN Opinion
I just saw Linda Kerber speak this morning at the law school and it was very interesting (my friend who attends law school told me about the lecture and invited me to come with her). Ms. Kerber talks a lot about the importance of historical context in understanding the constitution. The 14th amendment is not something I had thought a lot about, but I think her take on why it is important in terms of immigration is fascinating.

Film Underscores Koreans' Growing Anger Over Sex Crimes - Choe Sang-Hun, NYT
A recent South Korean film about the sexual assaults of a number of deaf students in a school and the lax punishments the perpetrators got has "tapped into the widespread anger of official reluctance to take sex crimes seriously, and over how justice is served." Nearly a 10th of the country's population has seen the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment