Katie Jones's Blog

Katie is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She graduated from Grinnell College with a BA in History. She is a second year Master of Public Health student in the Community and Behavioral Health department at the University of Iowa. She works for the MPH Department and for the Iowa Cancer Consortium. She is interested in many public health topics, including health disparities, chronic disease prevention, sexual assault and domestic violence prevention, and health communication. In her spare time, she enjoys cycling and playing board games with friends.

This student blog is unedited and does not necessarily reflect the views of the College of Public Health or the University of Iowa.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pandemic! (the board game)

Last night I played the board game Pandemic with some friends. I've been wanting to play this board game for a while (I'm a big fan of board games) and this one was really fun, and definitely the most public health-related board game I've ever played.





















One of the neatest characteristics of this game is that it's cooperative. Although everyone is a unique professional with different skills, they all work together to try to contain four different diseases that are quickly spreading across the globe. You win if you find the cures for the four diseases before too many outbreaks occur or you run out of cards to draw. Unfortunately last night we were not able to beat the spread of the diseases and ended up losing, but I'm looking forward to playing it again soon! Hopefully our loss doesn't reflect my real-life public health skills!

Anyway, I could talk about board games forever, but here are some articles I read recently that you may also find interesting:

Cancer is just as deadly as it was 50 years ago. Here's why that's about to change. - Charlie Jane Anders, io9


Child abuse experts call for U.S. campaign - Frederik Joelving, Rueters

Researchers say malaria deaths are twice the official count - Richard Knox, NPR

1 comment:

  1. My name is Gloria from Senegal, I came in here to confirm Hepatitis B. testimony that I red online some months ago. I red about how Dr. Iyabiye cured one Mr. Henry and I decided to give it a try to see if my sister could be healed or cured too, behold doctor Iyabiye is indeed a sent to help people out of this miserable disease. My sister was dying of hepatitis b her stomach was swollen and complained of pains and weaknesses in her body, I came across iyabiye’s contact online while checking about hepatitis. My sister got cured after she applied his medication for a month. I am here to thank Dr. Iyabiye and to encourage people to reach him for help through: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com Call/Whatsapp: +2348072229413

    ReplyDelete